Pulque



     This was a very interesting piece in that, I wanted to relate it back to the Octavio Paz conversation about the fiesta and its relationship to death and timelessness. I really enjoyed this piece because i think up until now, I never gave it much thought as to why the plant is in so many Mexican paintings, but I think I understand now. From my understanding, the pulque is harvested from the maguay plant which takes 10 years to mature. It is a drink for the humble people of Mexico and it is in my opinion not just an alcoholic beverage, rather it is symbolic of how people celebrate.
     In my painting I wanted to show somewhat of a chaotic background with no particular time or place. I wanted to play with the colors a bit, the man was probably cultivating the plant out in the hot sun, and so he's wearing a little hat to keep his face from getting sun burned. and the soft dirt he stood on was hot, and his back pack was full, so he had to have a drink so he can finish harvesting the rest of the Muguay. so I painted the straw hat for him. He has a helper, a donkey named burro. Below are a few pictures that capture the act of harvesting the Pulque, and they do a good job of showing how its done, as well as showing how its a different way of life.







     I came across the image below and felt that it makes a really good connection to the fiesta and the presence of death and timelessness. I think it captures my thoughts that I cant put into words, perfectly...




1 comment:

  1. Mike--ask me about Gloria Anzaldúa--I was reading her over the break (borderlands/la frontera) and it struck me several times that the world she talks about--the chicano world--is very distinct in ways I haven't yet begun to consider! Some of the things she says also explain aspects of your work--the way an image is a social thing in addition to personal expression--un símbolo social--and that the two aspects can be combined. I think you've been finding some very good ways to do this!

    ReplyDelete