Paloma Negra

     My influence for this pastel painting came from the song Paloma Negra by Lola Beltran. I grew up listening to her because she was one of my moms favorite singers. I didn't know exactly where to go with this painting, but I let her voice and some of the words take me on this artistic journey. I go back to what was mentioned earlier in class about the fiesta, and how it is an event where time is still. Its been some time since I have heard her music, and listening to her this week put me in a nostalgic state. Her music strikes a cord for me in the sense that, listening to this song, brought me back to my sisters quinceanera, to the carneceria where I would go buy groceries with my mom, and the times our family would get together over the holidays. 
     For the painting, I wanted to capture the sorrow that the song is trying to express. It is feminine and comes from a place that evokes beauty and sadness. I have always been fascinated by the candy skulls for that reason. Often times, the women who paint their faces are beautiful and do it for celebrations. So the contrast in my painting is to explore the vibrant themes juxtaposed with death and the melancholy.


I have posted below the link to the song that inspired this work.








No comments:

Post a Comment